Saturday, August 11, 2007

Where to Start?



I grew up with the Fairy tale Princess dreams that most girls have. I would dream that one day my handsome prince would ride up and wisk me away into the sunset, holding onto me and keeping me safe until we reached my posh castle where the servents would cater to my every need. (screeching brakes here)....Little did I know that that anything you want in life you have to work your tale off for. Boy that would have been the life though.



I did get my handsome prince...but he drove up in a Cherry Red Chevy Pickup..not really the same effect, but at least he left the John Deere tractor at home..lol. I was hooked from the moment he stepped into my life and we have been married for 14 years now. Although it hasn't always been easy, as marriages are a lesson in compromise and selfless giving, I wouldn't want another soul mate for me.



We spent the first few years of our lives working towards our goals in lives and not really thinking about children. Then one day it seemed as though our lives were missing something. We decided to have a baby. I thought it would be as easy as deciding to have one. Heck, no one else in our families ever had trouble having kids, some should have tried a little harder at not having them, but that's another story..lol.



For six years we tried with no avail, and it was rather frustrating and emotionally draining. We had always said if we were to have one, it would be God's will. We didn't look into fertility because we knew there were children all over the world who needed loving families. So this led us to adoption, I never dreamed of the hurdles you have to jump through to even start the process of adoption, and then you aren't even guaranteed a child. It is very overwhelming, but so worth it in the end. After a couple of heartbreaks, we had put it all on the side burner and carried on with our lives. When we least expected it we were approached with a proposition for adoption, and of course we jumped on it. That was four years ago and we have never been happier.



We were happy with our son and had said he would probably be our only child, then almost a year to the day later, we were approached again with an oppurtunity for a daughter, which we greeted with open arms. We had our perfect family when our third child came along and we knew from the depths of our beings that it would be a challenge, but we greeted him with open arms as well. And that makes up our family as we know it today. We say we are happy and done, but I am not sure if the oppurtunity should arise again that we would be able to say no..lol.



Our children are little blessings and although they have their challenges, one of which being only a year between each one. We are so fortunate and rich beyond our dreams with the love for and from each of them.



I got my fairy tale ending, although it wasn't quite the way I had envisioned, and it will continue to be a challenge, but I know how blessed I am and will work with all of my being to make this my dream life.

2 comments:

Rach said...

Your family sounds beautiful. How wonderful for your children that you chose them to be yours. :o)

Thank you so much for your comments this evening. What a delightful dream you had and I want to thank you for sharing it with me. Some days are tougher than others and your dream made me smile. :o)

100 Percent Cottam said...

it was so fun to read a little about you! thanks for reading my blog and for your comment and compliments! i'm so flattered, and i love it when new faces pop into the mix. i'd be honored to be your blogging buddy...and i'll be popping over here to see what you guys are up to, as well! :)