Saturday, March 15, 2008

New Wind Farm in Kansas

Today the kids and I went about 40 miles from where we live to look at the wind Turbines for the new wind farm that was just built near here. We all were in aahhh of how huge these things are. Each blade is 240 feet long and there are three on each turbine.

There are 120 built and ready to go and another 30 of them already in production. When the second phase is complete and running which will be in November of this year this one farm will generate enough power to provide energy for 75,000 Kansas homes. It doesn't seem like a lot, but it will make a huge difference and the project will offset approximately 750,000 tons of carbon dioxide emissions per year which seems like an astronomical amount. It is truly amazing to see them and watch them spin. Anything we can do to produce Renewable Energy is going to help our country.

Note the red Semi on the Interstate and how small it is compared to these massive things.

These particular Turbines are owned by Trade Wind Energy which is headquartered in Lenexa, Kansas. They will also sell some of the energy they produce to the Kansas City metro area.



If you ever make it through Kansas on I-70 west of Salina, be prepared to see this spectacular site. I took these pics today and it was a bit hazy so they aren't as clear as I had hoped. But impressive none the less.

3 comments:

Mia said...

I have driven by a wind farm once before... I want to say it was in Colorado, but I can't say for sure. What I do remember is that those things are HUGE. It is great that you could go see those monsters and show them to your kids!

Mindi said...

thanks for coming by and saying "hi"--now i can check you out, too!

Jori said...

I LOVE stuff like this. They have built a huge solar power plant here. Let's use the sun and wind to power stuff. Very cool!